Friday, August 22, 2008

A guidebook to traveling

I arrived.

I am sitting in Seoul, Korea inside of the Beewon Guest House.

So far, I've eaten one meal of Korean food with two other guests and I've toured Changdeokgung, a palace nearly right across the street from Beewon Guest House.

I'll be here for four months and, apart from attending school, I'll be updating this blog with stories, photos and the occasional video element.

Traveling, touring, visiting -- whatever you want to call it -- means many different things to many different people. For me, I make no presumptions about knowing too much about Korea or what I'm getting myself into.

The content I will deliver will be true to me and reflective of my perspective. That said, here are some of the broad and specific topics I hope to capture. These may change as my trip evolves, but here is an initial list and I'd love suggestions from anyone about places they've either heard about or been to.

Themes

Compare/contrast America and Korea
Korean history
Korean human geography
Lastly, what I'd like to call "youthful adventures."

Topics

  • Plastic surgery

  • Korean views regarding President Bush, US troops in Korea, US Presidential election

  • United States corporate presence in Korea

  • Korean journalism

  • Korean cuisine

  • Youth culture

  • Christianity and religion in Korea

  • Korean fashion, trends and popular culture

  • Korean views regarding North Korea

  • Theatre and cinema in Korea

  • Photography in Korea

  • Major Korean sports

  • Neighborhood, district profiles (of Seoul)



This is a long and ambitious list to be sure, but hopefully I will be able to tackle some of these topics during my stay here and also take some time to update the blog with "weekend adventures." Some of these adventures might overlap the topics, but I also plan to do a limited amount of traveling outside of Seoul. Again, recommendations are welcome!

Weekend Adventures

  • Chuseok holiday

  • Busan trip

  • DMZ

  • Korean cinema or theatre

  • Korea live music (concert)

  • Amusement park (Lotte World)

  • Korean karaoke or 노래방



I also plan to photograph around several themes for this trip, hopefully completing a shoot around a theme for each month of my stay.

So far, I've envisioned capturing "Western culture in Korea," as well as "Modern Korean culture."

I'll be updating my Flickr page in conjunction with this blog:
http://flickr.com/photos/anmidough/

Well, that's all for now. I'll be back with more than just lists tonight!

2 comments:

Meg Peters said...

Yay! I'm excited for you to be in Asia. Hope you have the time of your life... oh, and learn some Korean while you're at it.

jenau said...

Liar. You have not updated